Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Natural Birth After C-section


I have friends who loved having c-sections and would not do it any other way. I, however, would never want another c-section. I am still upset I had to do it. My natural births were easy. I remember my doctor saying if I ever had another child I would need a c-section again because of how he had to cut my uterus to get the baby out. I wonder if these new recommendations would change that. I am up to my ears in taking care of kids right now, so I don't think this will impact me, but I do think it's a really big deal for other women. If my first or second births had been a c-section, I would have looked into having a VBAC. HOW ABOUT YOU?(I would certainly want more information about the possible side effects like uterine rupture and death.)

FROM NBC: Attempting a natural birth after a prior c-section is safe for most women --according to new guidelines released by the American College of OB-GYNs. The c-section delivery rate has skyrocketed over the past 40 years -- to almost one in three births (31%).

But fewer women (8.5%) are opting for subsequent vaginal births even though they are considered safe after a c-section.
The new guidelines state that women with two previous c-sections, women carrying twins and those with an unknown type of uterine scar can now attempt a natural birth. Doctors hope to decrease the number of c-sections performed each year.

60 to 80-percent of women who attempt natural births after c-sections are successful.
There are risks linked with repeat c-sections and attempted vaginal births after c-sections (hemorrhage, infection, operative injury, blood clots, hysterectomy and death)

You can find more on the recommendations at CHILDBIRTH.ORG

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

What if you could look younger? Soderstrom Skin Institute was one of the first medical facilities to offer laser services in Central Illinois 20 years ago and today provides one of the most comprehensive laser treatment programs available. Call 674-7546 to schedule your FREE CONSULTATION today!



0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.