Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lead Paint on Toys

Great News! If you live in the Peoria area, HOI 19 News is offering a FREE toy safety check next week, February 26th from 3:30-6:30p.m. at Ridgeview Elementary School (off Radnor Road in Peoria). You have to sign up to attend because the company (Oxford Instruments) testing the toys will only be in town for a few hours. I tried to get them to stay longer, but they are doing this for free and are coming from Chicago. So, I totally understand where they are coming from. The company will be using an XRF machine to test the toys. That is what the Consumer Product Safety Commission uses to screen toys it has labeled as suspicious.

I also had a long conversation today with someone at the CPSC and an interview with a local pubic health department nurse. I have a one-year-old, so I have been having an issue with determining how to keep him safe from lead. He puts just about everything in his mouth! This has been a very eye-opening investigation. The report will air on Monday, February 25th (my son's birthday) at 10p.m. I will, of course, post the story on this site and put it on You Tube sometime after that.

If you want to get some of your child's toys tested ( I am picking a few of my son's favorites) go to HOI News and click on Toy Test.
It's in an orange box on the top. Again, space is very limited and I am nervous we will have to turn people away. So, please sign up early if you want to come.

Please send me any questions you have about lead in toys and I will make sure I include those answers on-line.

By the way, Toys 'R' Us just released it is increasing testing for lead paint and phthalates in its toys.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Thank you for bringing such an important service to your community. I am the owner of a private company called Inspect-A-Toy, Inc. in California and we offer parents an in-home service where we test children's toys, jewelry and any other consumer product found in the home for the presence of Lead. We too utilize an X-Ray Fluoresence device to determine Lead levels. Our website is www.Inspectatoy.com and our phone number if any concerned parent needs our help on the West Coast is 1-888-ISPYLEAD. Jen, thank you again for your blog and as a parent of a 2 year old little girl I appreciate what you are doing for your own community and all the potential people your broadcast will reach.
Sincerely, Owners of Inspect-A-Toy, inc.

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.