Wednesday, December 15, 2010

No More Drop-side Cribs


I have a solid wood drop-side crib that lasted through two kids and then it did exactly what it wasn't supposed to. The drop side came loose on one end and it became a choking and suffocation hazard. Luckily, my son was almost three by then so he wasn't in as much danger as a younger child (IMHO.) Now I have this expensive, solid wood crib that I need to throw out, but I just can't. It's sitting in my basement collecting dust. I keep trying to come up with ways I could reuse the wood. (As if I really have time to make something out of wood.)I do feel bad for mom and pop stores who have these cribs and will not be able to sell them. However, they are a safety hazard-I have seen it first hand. Do you have a drop-side crib?

FROM NBC: Drop-side cribs can no longer be made or sold in stores -- now that the government has mandated rigorous new crib safety standards. Cribs with sides that move up and down were originally designed to help moms and dads easily lift babies out of bed.

But the Consumer Product Safety Commission says drop-side cribs are dangerous and deadly -- and has banned them from stores.
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D) New York: "They are a fundamental threat to the lives of infants and young children. That threat today stops."

The CPSC says malfunctioning hardware or assembly problems can cause the drop-side rail to detach and create a gap between the rail and the mattress -- where babies can get stuck and suffocate.
32 babies and toddlers have died that way in U.S. during the past decade.

Michelle Witte's son Tyler was one of them and died at just 10 months old.
Michelle Witte - Mother: "I rocked him. I put him to bed at 1 o'clock in the morning after his 1am feeding. I never imagined that would happen." The new rules will also create stronger mattress supports and hardware and establish better safety testing.

The new standards will become mandatory in 6 months. Daycares and hotels will need to replace any drop-side cribs. The rules don't apply to those already in use in private homes, but prohibits re-selling used drop-side cribs.


-NewsAnchorMom Jen


Are you having an acne emergency? Soderstrom Skin Institute can help. We treat acne seriously and in most cases will see you within a week. Evening and Saturday appointments are available. Call 309-674-SKIN and make your appointment today.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.