Tuesday, September 28, 2010

McDonald's Happy Meal Toys


I am really not supposed to take sides, but come on! I would hope parents are smarter than this. I do wish there were more healthy meals at McDonald's because it's one of the only places I can take my kids where they can run free while I eat. However, it is what it is-a fast food restaurant. I typically bring fresh fruit with me to the playland and sometimes I even bring my own sandwich. My kids love the toys! I was just thinking the other day that I wish they would put a playground up at Junction City. It would be nice to be able to go to Cyd's and then take the kids to the playground. What do you think?

FROM CNN: San Francisco Supervisors will wait to vote on banning toys from fast food meals. The vote was scheduled for today (Monday), but was postponed after a few amendments were made. If the ban does pass, it would require meals for kids meet certain nutritional requirements in order to also have a toy.

McDonalds turned out in force against the ordinance.
Critics say:"These toys that are used too often as incentives to lure and entice children to the meals." "The toy that comes in that unhealthy Happy Meal? There comes a price." The county's land use and economic development committee this afternoon heard from consumers and McDonalds executives on a proposal to ban restaurants from selling meals with toys like these unless the food meets certain nutritional standards. "Meals must contains fruits and vegetables and must not exceed 600 calories and must not have beverages that have excessive fat or sugar."

Health advocates say fast food restaurants use these promotional toys to lure low-income children into diets high in sugar, fat and salt. "The youth in my community are getting diet-related diseases like diabetes and hypertension at younger and younger ages." "We can use the toy in our advertisement to promote and educate on nutrition. We advertise our all white meat nuggets, our apple dippers, our low-fat white milk."


The McDonalds corporation flew in executives from Chicago to tout what they describe as healthier menu options and to oppose the measure."I'm a parent. I have two small children. I decide what my children will eat and what toy or what the environment will be. And so banning or putting legislation that undermines what parents choices are, we believe are wrong."


Scott Rodrick owns ten of San Francisco's 19 McDonalds restaurants. He calls the legislation proof of the city's misplaced priorities. "With the limited resources that our city has today, we should be focused on the greater issues: a public safety program that works, Muni (public transit) that runs on time." Supporters say nearly 50 restaurants would be affected under the ordinance. San Francisco's mayor has said he will veto the measure if it passes.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Are you having an acne emergency? Soderstrom Skin Institute can help. We treat acne seriously and in most cases will see you within a week. Evening and Saturday appointments are available. Call 309-674-SKIN and make your appointment today.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.