Monday, August 9, 2010

Should Moms be Working Full-time?

There are certainly times when I wish I was a stay at home mom. Other days I wish I worked part-time. I do think it's hard for most families to survive on one income, especially if you are used to living on a dual income. I struggle with what to do every day. I am obviously not going to work nights when all my kids are in school. That would be torture to miss out on their childhood and only see them on the weekends. I know a lot of moms struggle with this. I wish there was an easy answer.

At least if you decide to work full-time, you can be assured you aren't damaging your kids-according to this new study!

FROM NBC: A new study challenges prior research suggesting full-time working mothers are harming their child's development. Researchers at Columbia University found infants raised by mothers with full-time jobs did score slightly lower on cognitive tests -- but these children had other advantages.

Working mothers had higher income and were more likely to seek high-quality childcare -- and they were found to be more responsive to their children than stay at home moms.

Moms working part-time had no negative effect on their children's cognitive scores -- nor did working full time after the first year of her child's life.
The report is based on data from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Study of Early Child Care.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Are you having an acne emergency? Soderstrom Skin Institute can help. We treat acne seriously and in most cases will see you within a week. Evening and Saturday appointments are available. Call 309-674-SKIN and make your appointment today.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.