Sunday, March 7, 2010

Facebook Age Limit

My six-year-old LOVES the computer so I do wonder when he will start asking me for a Facebook account! Or will this Facebook think just be a fad that won't be around in five years? I don't know, but I am sure there are parents who struggle to decide when their kids can join the social networking site. I don't see the point of letting them join until their friends are all on it. So I say we all join forces and ban Facebook until the kids are at least in high school. Post a comment and let me know what age you think is appropriate for kids to join Facebook.

FROM NBC: How young is too young for a child to have a profile on a social networking site? Facebook and Myspace have recommended age minimums of 13 years old and many parents are overlooking that letting kids as young as 7 create profiles. But the FBI says that's dangerous.


Linda Greenway, Mother: "There is not a 'too young.'" Linda Greenway's son John is a sixth grader. He started social networking at a very young age. John Pittman, 11-years-old: "I was on MySpace when I was about 7. I was living with my dad and it was a way to contact my mom whenever I couldn't talk to her or see her."

Now 11-years-old, john just got a Facebook page too. As for his profile pages, there are house rules. His mom does not allow pictures on his pages. Even his information is unidentifiable.
Linda Greenway, Mother: "It's not his real age. It's not his real name. It's not his real town he lives in. Everything is set to private." But strangers can send anyone a message on these sites, including your child. If you do not want a stranger to contact your child, on Facebook for example, go into "privacy settings" and change "send me a message" to "only friends."

Despite that, law enforcement on the local and federal levels ask parents this... Stacy Arruda, FBI Cyber Crimes: "Why would you want to expose your child to any potential danger." "By allowing your child to have a social networking page, I don't care what security you have at your house, you've punched a huge hole in the side of your house and you're allowing predators into your home."

So how young is too young to this FBI agent?
Stacy Arruda, FBI Cyber Crimes: "Under 18."

And while the age minimum is up in the air, there's no doubt, if your child is out on the world wide web, you need to pave a path of protection.
Bill Mason, Prosecutor: "A parent who's involved with child on the Internet, is a predator's worst nightmare.

When you're involved watching, participating, probably not going to get close to your children."
Linda says,protecting her prized possessions is her only priority. Linda Greenway, Mother:"I'm not here to be their friend. I'll let them play. I'll let them have fun, but you're going to do it mommy's way."

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Have you considered breast enhancement? If so, let Soderstrom Skin Institute help you make the right decision! Attend our FREE Educational Seminar on March 4th in Peru or in Peoria on March 11th or schedule your appointment today and receive a FREE consultation. Plus, take advantage of our limited time special pricing.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.