Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Choking Hazards You Eat

Kids can choke on things they are supposed to eat. Just because your child is three years old or older doesn't mean he/she won't choke on things like hot dogs and popcorn. Before my kids eat foods that are known choking hazards, I remind them to chew and not eat too fast. My oldest has even started saying it before I do because I say it so often. Choking just freaks me out. I don't want to do the finger sweeps or heimlick on my kids. I would be terrified! What foods do your kids choke on?

FROM NBC: Toys that could choke children under three come with warning labels. Now pediatricians think food should, too. And topping the list --
hot dogs.

The food loved by so many kids is the perfect size, shape and texture to become lodged in a child's throat.
In a new policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics -- doctors suggest hot dogs and other foods that pose a choking hazard to young children have a warning label attached.

They also recommend "redesigning" hot dogs so kids aren't as likely to choke on them.
More than 10-thousand kids under age 14 are sent to the emergency room each year after choking on food... about 77 die.

More on this story on USA TODAY

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Have you considered breast enhancement? If so, let Soderstrom Skin Institute help you make the right decision! Attend our FREE Educational Seminar on March 4th in Peru or in Peoria on March 11th or schedule your appointment today and receive a FREE consultation. Plus, take advantage of our limited time special pricing.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.