Thursday, December 17, 2009

Fruit Juice: Good or Bad?

FROM NBC: Fruit juice. Is it a health food or simply soda in disguise? Drop for drop, ounce for ounce -- on the drink aisle, which is healthier -- fruit juice or soda? Betty Powell "If it says fruit juice, that's good! We think, 'Oh, this is nutritional, they've taken care of everything that needs to be handled.'"

Betty Powell learned differently. She simply cut fruit juice out of her diet and so far has lost more than 10 pounds.
Is this a good idea? Stephanie Dean, a registered dietician who treats Powell, says be careful what you consume. Stephanie Dean, Dietician "When we want to help people lose weight, we want them to watch their calories. Sometimes it comes from food, sometimes it comes from beverages."

This apple juice has 120 calories. A regular coke - 100, per serving. The juice also has more sugar: 29 grams. The coke 27.
Our comparison stacked up with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's data which finds - a cup of fruit juice simply has more calories than a cup of regular Coke or Pepsi. An article in the L.A. Times sparked a nationwide discussion. In the fight against obesity, some experts claim it's time juice lost its wholesome image, but is that fair?"

We contacted the Juice Products Association for a comment. Sarah Wally, manager of Nutrition Communication said: "Fruit juice provides a key source of valuable nutrients, including folate, potassium and vitamin C. Simply discussing 'healthful choices' under the umbrella of caloric density is not scientifically accurate - or fair to consumers."
Now -- Betty Powell only eats fruit and she only drinks water. She's learned every calorie -- even the nutritious ones, counts. Betty Powell "Every calorie counts, sugar is sugar."

When it comes to the kids, I still do watered down juice. I have had several older people tell me my my kids should drink more orange juice because it's good for them. I just tell them eating an orange is much healthier. My two-year-old is obsessed with apple juice. I water it down every time I give it to him. I am not sure if my husband/sitter/etc. do the same. I have mentioned to them to do that, but who knows what happens when I am not home. My two-year-old did say to me the other day, "No water mommy, just apple juice." How do you limit juice at your house?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Not sure what to get your loved ones? Give a Skin Dimensions gift card! Surprise your loved ones with the choice of massages, facials, bareMinerals makeup, manicures, pedicures or let them choose products from a selection of over 25 national and international brands of skincare. Gift cards available in any denomination. Purchase at Skin Dimensions Day Spa, Skin Dimensions Boutique or online.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.