Monday, July 27, 2009

Cursing during Labor

I couldn't help but post this one! With our first child we had all these plans on what I would do to manage the pain-like massage, music, etc. I found out when the contractions started to hurt, I didn't want anyone to talk to me or touch me! To think, I could have gotten the longest, best massage ever! I did labor in the tub until I was about 5 centimeters. I think I just focused on breathing until transition. Then I thought I was going to die. I really did. The nurses said, "Wait, we have to prepare." I don't know if I said anything or just screamed. Then my mom said, "She is ready to push. Hurry up!" So I finally didn't care if they were ready and started pushing. Three minutes later and he was in my arms. My mom says it was so painful because it was so fast. I don't know if I cussed or not and I can't imagine that would have helped! However, it's worth a shot this time!

THERE'S A TYPE OF PAIN MANAGEMENT THAT WOMEN IN LABOR HAVE BEEN USING FOR YEARS... CURSING! A NEW STUDY SUGGESTS SWEARING DISTRACTS YOUR BRAIN FROM PAIN BY FOCUSING IT ON ANGER OR BY GIVING YOU A SENSE OF CONTROL. RESEARCHERS IN THE U-K HAD COLLEGE STUDENTS PUT THEIR HAND IN A BUCKET OF FREEZING COLD WATER. STUDENTS WHO WERE TOLD THEY COULD SWEAR WERE ABLE TO TOLERATE THE PAIN -- AND KEEP THEIR HANDS IN THE WATER LONGER -- THAN THOSE WHO DID NOT UTTER ANY 4-LETTER WORDS. Cursing didn't have the same pain relief effect in men who tended to "think the worst."

published in: NeuroReport
. Researchers at Keele University's School of Psychology

Here's another version of the article from WebMD.
Did you curse during labor?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Afraid to wear shorts? Do you have unwanted hair? Embarrassed by unsightly varicose or spider veins? You don't have to be afraid to wear shorts because you are embarrassed by unwanted hair or unsightly varicose veins. Call 674-Skin to schedule your FREE leg vein or hair removal consultation at Soderstrom Skin Institute.

Soderstrom Skin Institute is positioned to be a comprehensive, full service skin care facility. Visit www.soderstromskininstitute.com to learn what Soderstrom Skin Institute can do for you.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.