Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sign Language Class

I started teaching my youngest son sign language last year and then kind of forgot about it. I wish I hadn't. He just turned two yesterday (Happy Birthday!) and he would definitely benefit from signs. He uses yah, no, more and go to communicate. My older son was a slow talker too. I knew I should have taught him sign and I don't think it's too late. I will have to look up some common words and start teaching! The sign language class mentioned below would have been fun to take. Has anyone ever found a class in their area?


FROM CNN:If you're a parent, you know how frustrating it can be to communicate with children before they learn to speak.

It may look chaotic, but these little ones are actually learning a language - sign language. The child development expert who runs this program says it's a great way to teach babies to express themselves. "Well that's a time when they can not communicate. They can't speak, they have lots of ideas in their head and they can't get them out."

The tots range from 6 to 18 months. Along with their parents they're here to practice basic signs like milk, dog, and book. "It's very bonding and it's very soothing to both parent and child, to be able to tell what your child wants and what your child sees." The goal of the class is to show parents how to teach sign language to their children at home. By repeating the signs over and over, some experts believe it can even help in the development of verbal language skills.

Beth Gundermann says her one-year-old, Jake, has learned a lot of signs since taking the class, and does a better job of communicating with the family. Every day, I feel like he's picking up more language skills, even if he's not saying words. And with, active little fingers, parents can learn a lot from their tots.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.