Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Get more sleep tonight!

FROM ABC: Having a baby can change a woman's life in many ways. But new research shows, new moms might not expect to be deprived of so much sleep.


Val holford hasn't had a good night's sleep in months. Her son Tristin is teething. "My friend told me when I was pregnant, that I would never sleep as soundly as before I became a mom, and I didn't believe her at the time, but she was so right.
Val isn't the only new mom who complains about a lack of sleep. Dr. Thomas Lorusso says restless nights can eventually lead to long-term sleep problems. "There's something called cycle physiologic insomnia which often will be triggered by some initial poor sleep habits. "

Lorusso explains that can lead to even more troubles. "When you don't sleep well you generally don't feel well, so fatigue is a big issue, accidents. And now there's some indications that people who have insomnia increase their weight over time." To break bad sleep habits, doctors recommend limiting food and drink, especially alcohol within three hours before going to bed, avoiding caffeine within eight hours of bed time, and exercising more -- but do it in the morning, not before you lay your head on your pillow.

I always think about exercising in the morning, but end up doing it right before I go to bed. I just run out of time. And I do suffer from insomnia. Go Figure!

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.