Sunday, December 28, 2008

Women should use weights

I have always loved Body Pump and this article makes me an even firmer believer that I NEED to go more often! Unfortunately, I can only go on Saturday mornings because I work evenings. Since I have been off a lot this month, I have been going a lot more often and I love it.

If you have never been to a Body Pump class, it's basically a weight training class. There is music-like aerobics-but you almost always have a weight in your hands during the workout and you work every muscle. I go to The Clubs and River City and the instructors are really good! They don't make you feel uncomfortable when you first start and you have no idea what you are doing! They are very friendly. Anyway, I found this article and thought I would share it with you in case you are looking for more results when you go to the gym!

FROM MSNBC:
Through the sensible use of weight training, thousands of women who've never considered themselves athletic are turning shapeless bodies into firm, toned, and healthy ones. The past thirty years have shown an increase in women's awareness of the value of working out with weights. More women are using weights and finding that the benefits of regular weight training aren't simply cosmetic as previously believed.

In some cases women will benefit from adding body weight rather than losing it. This isn't weight in the form of useless fat, but rather healthy, solid, contoured muscle. Keep in mind that women who train with weights won't develop rippling muscles or the clear-cut definition of male bodybuilders because women don't have the genetic make-up or hormones that produce or allow muscular bulk like men.

The additional layer of body fat on most women hides the muscular separation, but allows female muscle to show off as graceful curves. Although going to the gym can provide a pleasant atmosphere, it doesn't help to alter the shape of your body if you're sticking to the elliptical machine and yoga classes. As with men, the key is dumbbells, barbells, and weight machines. Before signing up with one of those glamorous gyms, be sure it has the essential equipment required to get a full-body workout.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online health care program My Methodist eHealth is a proud sponsor of this blog post. My Methodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record and more! Sign up for My Methodist eHealth by clicking here.

1 comments:

Emily/Randomability said...

This is what I need to do too. I have the complete set of McDonald's 15 minute fitness DVD's and I need to get in gear. I was doing well, but fell off the wagon.

I am hoping to find a good deal on a step platform and hand weights after the new year. Any suggestions? I'm in B-N.

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.