Monday, September 29, 2008

Your house is dirty

Here's an ABC video that made me go EWWWW --Just when you thought your house was clean!

I didn't realize how much bacteria and how quickly dangerous bacteria starts lurking in your home. The people in this story truly thought their home was clean, but they found out the opposite. They got a "C." for cleanliness.

We are dealing with a bad stomach virus at our house and I can't help but wonder if it's my fault for not cleaning enough after watching this story! P.S. If you go to the Wal-mart Supercenter on Allen Road in Peoria, watch out for what my toddler left in the parking lot! I have to admit I was happy he didn't get sick in the car or in the store!

The story has some good tips-like setting your kitchen sponge in bleach, using a vacuum that picks up really well (I don't think mine works well) and not using the same sponge to clean the cutting board and the counter. I am sure I have done that one before!

Are you a clean freak? BTW, I do think there's some truth to being so clean we end up getting allergies and asthma later in life. If you are never exposed to germs, you won't build up any immunity. So, how to find the right kind of clean for your family?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I tend to be really paranoid about cross contamination and food borne illnesses. I don't use sponges at all, instead I use wash cloths for general cleaning (that get washed after each use) and use a bleach type cleaner and paper towels for raw meat related cleaning. (And I make sure the cleaner sits on the surface for several minutes of "kill time" before I wipe it up.)
I must admit, I am a bit of an overzealous handwasher, too, especially when cooking (I literally sing happy birthday twice while I am lathering) and before eating.

Unknown said...

I am really paranoid about this stuff. I wish I wouldn't have watched that video! Take care - I'm off to disinfect something now.

Jen Christensen said...

I had put the bleach away because it ended up getting on wash cloths and then would ruin all the clothes in that load. I think I will get it back out and just be more careful about where it's used!

Grafted Branch said...

LOL! The right kind of clean for me is only and all that I have time for. :)

Except in hotel rooms. I am a crazy woman when we hunker down in a hotel room--and I tip the maids to not touch anything after I've disinfected everything.

And kids...they don't give much warning with the vomiting thing, do they? One of mine was fine as I turned the cart down one aisle, and projectile vomiting by the time we got to the end, 50 yards away.

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.