Thursday, May 19, 2011

Watch out for Swimmer's Ear


I don't think anyone in my family has ever had swimmer's ear. However, my youngest son seems to be prone to ear infections. So I do wonder if he will be prone to swimmer's ear. Is there a connection? I will make sure I dry out his ears as much as possible this summer. Although.. I am not sure how I can take three kids who don't swim well to the pool. I'll have to think about that one! I am so excited for warmer weather! 87 and sunny on Sunday-only rainy on Saturday. Yay!

FROM NBC: Swimmer's ear leads to over two million doctor visits a year ... racking up nearly half a billion dollars in health care costs. That's according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control released today. Data show one in 123 Americans went to the doctor for swimmer's ear in 2007 -- with most cases in children from five to 14 years old. Swimmer's ear develops when water stays in the ear canal too long ... allowing germs to grow and infect the skin. You can reduce your risk for swimmer's ear by drying your ears after swimming or showering --- and if you are a frequent swimmer, experts recommend talking to your doctor about using alcohol ear drops.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

If you have any moles or spots on your face, neck, ears, nose, back, arms or legs that have changed in size, shape, or color, or if you have a mole that is asymmetrical with irregular borders, varies in color, or is larger in diameter than a pencil eraser, then you NEED to be checked out! Early detection is crucial to successful treatment. Come to Soderstrom Skin Institute for your FREE Skin Cancer Screening. If you can spot it… you can stop it!

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.