Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Teen Bullying

I have a child that is super sensitive and I am so worried he will get bullied at some point. I just keep trying to toughen him up! I think bullying is one of the hardest things for parents to tackle. You aren't supposed to tell them to fight back, but you know that ignoring the situation usually doesn't work either. I guess you just tell your child not to do anything that will give the bully attention. Still, there just doesn't seem to be one good answer for how to handle it. I would feel so helpless. Obviously, you would tell the school, but what if that doesn't resolve the situation? I hope I am worrying for nothing. That would certainly be something I would do...

FROM NBC: A new survey finds half of teens have bullied a peer at least once in the past year. The report from the Josephson Institute of Ethics was completed just last month and surveyed over 43-thousand U.S. high school students.

It shows the prevalence of bullying is high -- with 50-percent of students admitting they bullied or teased someone recently -- and nearly half reporting they have been a victim of bullying.

An alarming 52-percent of students have hit someone out of anger -- and 28-percent say it's ok to hit or threaten a person who makes them mad. Researchers believe domestic violence and violence in the media have affected teens' attitudes on how to resolve conflict.

The survey did not address cyberbullying.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen


Are you having an acne emergency? Soderstrom Skin Institute can help. We treat acne seriously and in most cases will see you within a week. Evening and Saturday appointments are available. Call 309-674-SKIN and make your appointment today.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.