Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Freshman 15


How close to the cafeteria did you live when you went to college? I only lived on campus for a year and a half. I was fairly close to the cafeteria, but not too close. There were many nights when I ate ramen noodles because I didn't want to go to the cafeteria. I remember walking a lot at college. I don't see how people get by without getting exercise. I guess my classes just happened to be far apart. I do think I gained the freshman 15. It was mainly because I ate tons of Mike and Ikes. I think I had a serious obsession.

FROM ABC: A new study showed that location location location is not only important in real estate, but also in controlling the "Freshman 15." The research, published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, revealed that environmental influences, especially the location of a campus dining hall, can affect a college student's weight. Many new college students dread the so called freshman 15 extra pounds that some seem to gain in their first year of college.

Researchers at the University of Michigan found that the distance from the dining hall to the dorm had an impact on how much weight a student gained.
Nearly 400 freshmen were assigned to dormitories, four of which had dining halls in the building and three that did not. At the end of the year, women in the on-site dining halls weighed an average of two pounds more and exercised less than women who had to walk to an outside dining hall.

The men ate an average of 1.5 more meals and three more snacks per week compared to
the guys without a dining hall in the building. Although the weight gain was small, researchers said those pounds can add up throughout the years and possibly influence the already-growing obesity problem in the United States.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

What if you could look younger? Soderstrom Skin Institute was one of the first medical facilities to offer laser services in Central Illinois 20 years ago and today provides one of the most comprehensive laser treatment programs available. Call 674-7546 to schedule your FREE CONSULTATION today!

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.