Sunday, August 1, 2010

Are Home Births Safe?


There are some strong opinions on this one! I have probably mentioned before, I was born at home and so were my two siblings. My kids were all born at a hospital. I had complications with all three and had no risk factors. I think it's a big decision to decide to deliver at home. The baby will probably be fine, but there is a chance that being at a hospital will prevent major complications or death. There's also a chance you or your baby will die in a hospital. So I am not against home birth, but it wasn't the right decision for my family. I do wish I could have had a natural birth at home, but it just wasn't right for me. What do you think about home birth?

FROM CNN:

Moms have a right to “choose how and where to give birth,” says an editorial from the medical journal Lancet, “but they do not have the right to put their baby at risk.”

A strongly worded editorial in the British publication, “Home Births –Proceed With Caution” cites other studies that had found that “home birth can, after all, be harmful to newborn babies."

A recent article from the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology showed that planned home births compared with planned hospital births doubled the risk of neonatal deaths, with breathing difficulties and failed attempts at resuscitation playing major factors.

But home births in the United States and European countries are increasing.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

What if you could look younger? Soderstrom Skin Institute was one of the first medical facilities to offer laser services in Central Illinois 20 years ago and today provides one of the most comprehensive laser treatment programs available. Call 674-7546 to schedule your FREE CONSULTATION today!

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.