Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Swallowing Batteries

My little nine month old baby is on the verge of crawling. I am really paranoid about him swallowing something. Batteries are at the top of my list. I would hope there are no small lithium batteries on the floor at my house. I feel like I am constantly vacuuming. I did find a AA battery from one of the remote controls on the floor the other day. That was not good. It is really hard to baby proof your house when you have two older children who have small toys.

FROM NBC: Alarming new statistics show a sharp rise in the number of children swallowing batteries. The increase is directly related to the widespread use of the round button lithium batteries used in many household products. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, there's been an almost seven fold increase in battery ingestions over the past 25 years ... causing serious complications of the esophagus and 13 deaths. Doctors say batteries must be removed from the esophagus within two hours to prevent severe injuries. Damage is caused when an external current from the battery reacts with tissue fluids. - Researchers say children who swallow batteries often require breathing tubes for months or years. - Over 60% of the batteries that were swallowed came directly from a product, nearly 30% were loose. - Damage is predominantly from an external current that causes electrolysis of tissue fluids, generating hydroxide. - Researchers say all electronics that use button batteries should have a secure compartment requiring a tool, or child proof lock, to open it.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Have you considered breast enhancement? Soderstrom Skin Institute wants to help you make the right decision! Our knowledgable plastic surgery team will help you choose from a variety of implants and surgical techniques based on YOUR specific needs. Plus, take advantage of our limited time special pricing. Call (309) 690-6042 to schedule your FREE consultation today!


Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.