Monday, August 3, 2009

A Mother's Diet

What women eat *before* becoming pregnant may play a role in their child's health. Studies presented at the meeting of the Society for the Study of Reproduction looked at how a mother's diet affects her children. A study in sheep and rodents found mothers who did not have sufficient levels of vitamin b-12 and folic acid had offspring that were fatter, and they had an increased risk for high blood pressure and insulin resistance later in life.

A study in mice found mothers who had low protein levels in the earliest days of pregnancy were more likely to have babies with abnormal growth and cardiovascular disease. Finally, another study in mice found those with diabetes were more likely to have babies with defects than non-diabetic mice. Many cases of type two diabetes are caused by a poor diet. However, exerts say women with type one or type two diabetes can have normal pregnancies if they keep their blood sugar in check.

So I not only need to worry about what I am eating now, but what I ate before becoming pregnant? Great-because there isn't enough pressure already! Seriously, I do not eat red meat, so I do worry about my protein levels/b-12. However, I think they're fine.

I do think what I eat during pregnancy impacts what foods my kid's eat. I am not a big veggie person. I try to eat more when I am pregnant, but it doesn't always happen. I am a fruit fanatic. Between me and my two boys, we go through two watermelons a week, a cantaloupe, 4 containers of strawberries, 10-13 bananas, two packages of grapes and usually a few apples and oranges a week. They do seem to like the same foods I do. I am sure that partially has to do with me feeding them that food more often, but I try and be diverse. I ate a ton of watermelon when I was pregnant with both of them and that is by far their favorite fruit!
Do your kids seem to like what you ate while you were pregnant?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Afraid to wear shorts? Do you have unwanted hair? Embarrassed by unsightly varicose or spider veins? You don't have to be afraid to wear shorts because you are embarrassed by unwanted hair or unsightly varicose veins. Call 674-Skin to schedule your FREE leg vein or hair removal consultation at Soderstrom Skin Institute.

Soderstrom Skin Institute is positioned to be a comprehensive, full service skin care facility. Visit www.soderstromskininstitute.com to learn what Soderstrom Skin Institute can do for you.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.