Sunday, March 22, 2009

No sun exposure for kids

A dermatologist interviewed by ABC News says we should never attempt to give our kids Vitamin D by letting them out in the sun without sunscreen. Dr. Doris Day says kids should always wear an SPF of 15 or 30 when they are outside this summer and especially while on vacation. She says the risk of melanoma later in life is so high that trying to guess how much sun exposure is too much isn't worth it. She says all kids should instead be getting a vitamin supplement of at least 400I.U. a day and probably more. She recommends 1000I.U. for adults.

I haven't done a survey or anything, but I would venture to guess the majority of parents are not giving their kids a Vitamin D supplement each day even though it's recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. I keep thinking about it and not making it a priority. Then I end up talking to a physician who doesn't think a supplement is necessary and I never go buy any. I certainly don't think a Vitamin D supplement would hurt, so I should really just get with the program here.

Have you started giving your kids a daily Vitamin D supplement?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.