Thursday, January 15, 2009
OOOOOOOOh I wondered about this and never looked into it. I do not tend to use Vicks on my kids because of the strong smell, but some people swear by it. I have always heard any chemical with a strong smell is a bad idea to be around for prolonged periods of time.
FROM ABC: When four-year-old Kiera and two-year-old Finn get a cold, their grandmother Melon Regis follows the same advice she has for years. She's especially heeding that warning now that there's new research out about the popular menthol compound Vicks and Vicks Vapor Rub.
Dr. David Nelson, the chair for the Department of Pediatrics at Georgetown University Hospital says it may do more harm than good. According to the research, the ingredients in Vicks can be irritants. The study found that Vicks Vapor Rub may actually stimulate mucus production and cause airway inflammation. That could lead to detrimental side effects in infants and small children.
The label suggests consulting a doctor before using it on children under the age of two years. For Melon Regis and her two grandchildren, that's exactly what she plans to do.
Have you ever used Vick's Vapor Rub on your kids?
Posted by Jen Christensen at Thursday, January 15, 2009