Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A pet saves a toddler's life

From ABC: An unlikely hero helped save the life of a toddler in Denver. Willie is Megan Howard's one year old Quaker parrot. She says he talks a lot and sometimes says things that aren't so nice.
but last Friday the parrot did more than just talk.

He alerted Howard that the two year old girl she was babysitting was choking and needed help.
Howard says she was in the bathroom when Hannah started choking on a pop tart. The parrot screeched louder than she had ever heard and was yelling "Mama baby, Mama baby."

Howard said she came out of the bathroom and noticed Hannah was blue in the face. Howard performed the Heimlich maneuver which stopped her choking and says if Willie had not warned her, she might not have been able to get to Hannah in time.
So I have never wanted a parrot, but this makes me think otherwise. I don't think my son's fish named Fire Ice Storm would have done this! Seriously though, there are huge safety benefits to having certain pets like parrots, dogs, etc. Has anyone had a pet save them or their kids?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

4 comments:

L A Mack said...

We use to have a cockatiel named Spike. One morning we were getting ready for school and work I heard him screaming, this wasn't normal for him. No one was paying any attention to his screaming, I went downstairs and there was a skillet on the stove smoking. I didn't smell the smoke until I got to the bottom of the stairs.

newsanchormom.com said...

That is incredible. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I have a terrier that looks like toto. I was in our side yard working in a flower garden and she kept coming to the fence and barking. She always stops when asked but this day she kept it up. I turned to look behind me to see what the fuss was about and my neighbors chimney had flames shooting out of it. I alerted the neighbor whose father was inside recouperating from hip surgery. We started shooting the flames with a garden hose until the fire dept arrived. Abby saved their home and their lives. She is one smart pup.
Thank you - Kathleen

New Day said...

Another wonderful story about the wonders of amazing animals.

It's a shame that so many wonderful animals are used and disposed of like trash: kill shelters; horse racing; greyhound racing; puppy mills; animals in entertainment, zoos, and rodeos; food animals; hunting for pleasure; fishing for leisure-time activity; fur for vanity; animals in labs; etc. And it's all legal.

If only relieving humans of a cruel spirit were as easy as sending a man to the moon.

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.