Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Mandarin Orange Obsession

We are watching T.V. and I hear little foot steps in the kitchen. I turn around to see my toddler crawling into the pantry. I know what's up. He wants his oranges. Now the pointing and grunting starts. Finally he successfully reaches them. He runs across the room so fast, he trips and the oranges go flying. Luckily the container didn't open(this time.) I pick them up, pour out the juice and hand them to him--who at this point is jumping up and down at my feet. Then my older son starts in. "I didn't get any mom. Where are mine?" This is not a one time thing. This is every day. So when I saw this story below--I shrieked with excitement.

From ABC: If it seems like you just feel better after eating a mandarin orange, the effects may not be all in your head. The USDA has found that mandarins grown in Placer County, California contain high levels of synephrine which can help fight allergy and cold symptoms.

Synephrine is a naturally occurring decongestant found in the fruit. You can buy these particular mandarins at stores and online. But like most people who enjoy these oranges you don't have to know what synephrine is to enjoy the biggest benefit--taste.

What a relief. There is a real benefit to the Mandarin Orange obsession at my house. It's the little things that can really make my day great!

-NewsAnchorMom Jen


Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

2 comments:

Melody said...

My 20 month old daughter loves them too. I used to worry about giving too many to her because of the syrup they are packaged in but then I found the packages that are sugar free. They are packaged in water. Yeah!!!

Jen Christensen said...

Me too! Although, when my hubby goes shopping we end up with the sugar ones!

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.