Saturday, November 15, 2008

Are your kids overweight, underweight or just right?

About.com has an article today that looks at whether your kids are overweight or underweight. My oldest son is in the just right category, but I am not sure about the toddler. He looks good to me, but I think I will check this out to make sure. There are so many kids who are facing obesity these days. There are many more who are overweight or headed in that direction.

Personally, I have a hard time getting my kids to eat. I have started making them take at least 3 bites. Otherwise, they will go the entire day without a decent meal. Other friends of mine say their kids don't stop eating and they have limit what they eat. I think it must be a mixture of heredity and learned behavior. What are your thoughts?

Here's the link to find out where your kids fit!

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

1 comments:

Maria said...

BMI doesn't always tell the entire story is my primary thought. For example, using BMI, my husband is considered overweight, in spite of his extremely low body fat percentage. (6-7, 235 pounds). You can see his picture in this post: http://mariawj.blogspot.com/2007/11/overweight-obese-and-immoral.html

If the child is eating healthy foods and growing, the bmi is just one indicator to the child's overall health and should not be obsessed about. However, if the child is obese, it is also an indicator that there needs to be some intervention. Toddlers are known to be picky eaters. For my son, I try to guage what he eats over a week's time in deciding if he's getting enough and the right foods. If he doesn't want to eat his carrots today, but tomorrow eats nothing but brussel sprouts, I am fine with that. Next week it will probably be the opposite. Most importantly, I don't force him to eat foods. I think that creates an unhealthy association with foods that I don't want in my family.

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.