Friday, September 19, 2008

Free Car Seat Checks

A new survey shows most parents in Illinois don't know how to properly install a child car seat or what Illinois law requires. The AAA Auto Club Group survey shows 97% of parents don't know children in Illinois are required to use a child safety seat or booster until 8 years-old. 67% of parents surveyed weren't sure how to properly install a car seat.

Saturday, September 20th there are child seat safety checks being held across the state.
The Peoria event is at Green Chevrolet Hummer on the corner of Knoxville and Pioneer Parkway. It is from 12:00p.m.-4:00p.m.

You can find the car seat check closest to you by going to AAA.com/safety.
AAA says car seats with a manufacturer's date before 2002 are too old to be safely used.

I will never forget when I got laughed at by a family member because I had a police officer who was certified to install car seats put mine in. I was told I was being over-protective and I was obviously a new mom. Well, I'm not a new mom anymore and I always have someone certified install my car seats. I have seen too many people have them in wrong. My husband is now Car seat certified. That makes it a lot easier for us. He took a class in Chicago last year for work. He said there were hundreds of car seats and several different cars. It was like a puzzle trying to figure everything out.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! It is really good!! Baby safety is must!!

Anonymous said...

An interesting twist is that most people don't know about the 'expiration' dates on car seats either. I hate when I see people on craigslist sellling old, expired seats to unsuspecting people (and babies/kids). The few people I emailed to inform them of this were not too receptive. I would like to know if I was unintentionally selling something that was recalled, expired, etc. but apparently most people just care about a buck .. not kids safety!! Too bad!

Jen Christensen said...

Jenny, that's horrible! Thanks for the warning! I have had relatives pick up car seats at garage sales so they can use them when they take the kids. I have to frown and go spend a bunch of money on new car seats everytime! It's just not worth the risk!

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.