Thursday, August 28, 2008

Scary Baby Bed Recall

Two babies have now died due to a strangulation hazard with a popular baby bed. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is issuing a warning to get rid of and stop using the bassinet immediately! The CPSC says this warning is being sent out BEFORE a recall of the product can take place because of the EXTREME DANGER.

The warning covers the Simplicity 3-in-1 and Simplicity 4-in-1 bassinets. Last week, a 7-month-old girl from Shawnee, Kansas was strangled after trying to slip through the metal tubes that run down the side of the bassinet. Police say her body fit through the tubes, but her head was too big and she became hung. In September 2007, a southwest Missouri infant girl died after being caught between the rail of her Simplicity 4-in-1 bassinet and the mattress.

I am glad the CPSC is releasing this photo, but it makes me want to cry. What a horrible situation. Why is that bar there anyway? It certainly doesn't look safe!

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad as this situation is this is and was easily preventable. I actually had this bassinet for my son and it was a great bassinet, easy to use and easy to clean. That bar is removable by 2 screws and should be removed when in use as a bedside co- sleeper then you put it back on when you want to use it as a regular bassinet to do this you simply pull up the fabric from the inside so that the bar is on the outside like on the rest of the bed. the fabric would completly cover the inside and be almost unnoticalble and impossible for a baby to get it back down since it is snaped and velcroed in place. the parents who's children died obviously were not using this correctly. I hope that more children will not have to die so needlessly.

Linda said...

I agree with Anonymous. I had the son-in-law purchase one for the grandbaby when she was born and when used correctly and as instructed, this would not happen.

Diane Vespa said...

This reminds me of a ditty that incessantly goes through my mind as I consider a new purchase... "just because they sell it doesn't mean it's safe".

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.