Wednesday, July 16, 2008

No Nuts During Pregnancy?

A Dutch study looking at pregnant women who ate nuts on a daily basis found those children were 50% more likely to develop asthma. Researchers are not telling pregnant women to avoid nuts at this point, because moderate amounts of peanut butter didn't seem to effect asthma in kids.

This is from MSNBC:

Scientists do not exactly know why some children develop asthma, although some believe that allergies can trigger the disease that causes a narrowing of the bronchial tubes. Nuts and seafood are known to contain allergens that cause food allergies but the Dutch team only found a link between peanuts and asthma, Willers said.

In their study, more than 4,000 pregnant women completed a dietary questionnaire that asked whether they consumed vegetables, fresh fruit, fish, eggs, milk, milk products, nuts and nut products rarely, regularly or daily.

The researchers, who published their findings in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, then assessed the children's diets and looked to see who had developed asthma over an eight-year period.

I love peanut butter and jelly, but I don't think I ate it daily. Then again, I do eat peanut butter toast a lot for breakfast. Either way, no asthma in our family as far as I know.

What do you think about this study?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

3 comments:

SallyN said...

I have comments, but can't find the AAP report I want to talk about. Will have to come back.

In the meantime, I just want to say that I'm really happy to see studies investigating (and supporting) the potential effects of diet during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Jen Christensen said...

Me too! I did get sick of hearing you can't have that when you're breastfeeding even though it probably wouldn't have any impact whatsoever on my milk. There is just so much unknown!

SallyN said...

Found the report! Here's the link.

Summary (in my own words), is that if an individual (read: infant/child) is going to be allergic to something, then delaying introduction isn't going to prevent them from being allergic. So, in theory, no more holding off on eggs, peanuts, strawberries, etc. until a certain age.

My take on it: If my child is going to have an allergic (and potentially anaphylactic) response to something, I'd like her to be old enough for either a) be regulated enough for me to be able to identify the reaction (as opposed to heat rash, or multitude of other non-allergic baby ailments) or b) her to be able to communicate her pain (what/where it hurts.) Furthermore, this policy revision only addresses atopic allergic reactions. There's no mention of the delayed/gut allergies which are becoming increasingly prevalent (or perhaps just increasingly identified).

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.