Tuesday, July 29, 2008

College Party Schools

If you are thinking about where to send your kids to college, you might want to take a look at this list. Although, I would take this with a grain of salt. I don't see SIU-Carbondale on the list, but the U of I is on there!

The Following is a list of the top party schools in the nation, according to Princeton Review's survey of 120,000 students.


1. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
2. University of Mississippi, University, Miss.
3. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
4. West Virginia University, Morgantown, W.Va.
5. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio.
6. Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, Va.
7. University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
8. University of Texas, Austin, Texas.
9. University of California-Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
10. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
11. University of New Hampshire, Durham, N.H.
12. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa.
13. University of Colorado, Boulder, Co.
14. Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.
15. Tulane University, New Orleans, La.
16. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill.
17. Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.
18. University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
19. University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
20. Loyola University-New Orleans, New Orleans, La.


Here's the list of the top 20 "stone-cold sober schools," according to Princeton Review's survey of 120,000 college students.


1. Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
2. Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.
3. U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.
4. College of the Ozarks, Point Lockout, Mo.
5. Grove City College, Grove City, Pa.
6. U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
7. U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
8. Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass.
9. Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
10. Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.
11. U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
12. Wesleyan College, Macon, Ga.
13. Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, Mass.
14. City University of New York-Queens College, Flushing, N.Y.
15. Webb Institute, Glen Cove, N.Y.
16. Berea College, Berea, Ky.
17. Agnes Scott College, Decatur, Ga.
18. City University of New York-Baruch College, New York.
19. Simmons College, Boston.
20. Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, Pa.


Do any of you have kids who are looking at any of these schools or did you go there yourself?

I am also wondering what you tell your kids about alcohol. Don't drink it until you're 21? You can have a drink around me? I know you are drinking, don't drive?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had several friends that attended Ohio University in Athens. I can vouch for the fact that it is a big partying school. It makes sense because it is so secluded from any major city. It is, however, beautiful in Southern Ohio, especially near Athens.

Anonymous said...

It really doesnt matter what the list says. There are exceptions but partying is major at almost every college. Those that make the list tend to bigger schools. Ive yet to visit a college where it wasnt the main event.

SallyN said...

I attended a school that was supposedly a 'party school', but managed to find plenty to do as a non-drinker.

As for our child(ren), we both agree that one of the main reasons there are so many issues with college drinkers is that the kids don't know what to do with their new-found freedom and access to something that has been taboo. We plan on introducing them to alcohol and responsible usage. I'd much rather they get drunk for the first time in the safety of their own home than at a college party surrounded by people they've known for two days (or two hours, for that matter.)

Shannon said...

As a sorority advisor at the U of I, I can vouch for the fact that there is a lot of partying happening there.

However, I'm not convinced it's really any more than it was when I was a student there in the mid-1990's, and we were never on these "party school" lists then.

The thing I've noticed about U of I is that most of the students there seem to manage the balance just fine. They know how to party hard, but they know how to study hard too. I'd be interested in seeing graduation rates for these schools.

Having said that, I do feel that the college students today drink more than we did. Not more often, but more. As an advisor, it sometimes keeps me up at night.

I'm not sure what we'll teach our kids. Currently I tell my sorority girls to be mindful of themselves above all and to try not to ever get themselves in a situation they can't control or undo later.

Jen Christensen said...

Shannon, you have a good perspective. I didn't realize that about U of I. I am a Saluki and I think anyone who lives in Illinois knows SIU is a party school! I did learn a lot too!

Shannon said...

I just remembered... I'll bet U of I made this list because of "Unofficial" - the St. Patrick's Day celebration that happens a week or so before St. Pat's Day.

It didn't even exist when I graduated, but now it's huge... literally thousands of people come in for it. Some kids even FLY in. Kids skip class to go drinking, or go get drunk and then go to class. Hundreds get arrested (although the percentage of U of I students who get arrested is quite low!)

It's turned into a huge headache, very reminiscent of the old SIU Halloween Weekend (which went a long way toward helping SIU earn its reputation!)

It may even be surpassing the old SIU Halloween... I can't say for sure because I've never attended either event. But I remember when SIU admin. took steps to curb that party and I think U of I officials are about there too...

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.