Thursday, July 10, 2008

Best Sunscreen for Kids

I probably have a dozen sunscreens for my kids in the closet. I have not found a brand that I know is going to keep the kid's from looking like lobsters and isn't too potent for their young skin.

We ran a story on WHOI looking at which sunscreens are best according to the Environmental Working Group. Here are the SUNSCREEN RATINGS:

1. Keys soap solar RX Therapeutic Sunblock (not waterproof)

2. TruKid sunny days Facestick Mineral sunscreen

3. California Baby Sunblock Stick Everyday

4. California Baby Sunblock Stick No fragrance

5. Badger Sunscreen

All of the sunscreens listed got a "o", the top score. There are several more pages of sunscreens. If you have a favorite, it might be a good idea to check the link above and see whether your sunscreen made the "best" list. The one I used on my kids today was California Baby lotion. It gets a "1" score. That's pretty good.

My good Friend, Lisa, did a lot of research on which sunscreen to choose and she likes Blue Lizzard that she got from Drugstore.com. It gets a "1" too.

What's your favorite kid-friendly sunscreen?

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I really like Coppertone aerosol type spray, in spf 30. It's super water resistant, and really easy to apply. My kids just don't have the patience for lotion. (I do buy spf 50 lotion for their faces, though).

Jeff and Anne McNutt said...

Our youngest has had an allergic type reaction to many typical waterproof kids sunscreens like Baby Magic, Coppertone etc.. We have to use a product which is PABA-free. We have found Aveeno Baby SPF 55, so far it has done the trick for us and elimnated the allergy. I love your blog, Thanks!

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.