Monday, June 23, 2008

Home Safety Month

June is home safety month. So I figured I should post something before the month is over. I can't believe the kids will be back in school in less than eight weeks. It doesn't seem possible!

The Home Safety Council is dedicated to preventing injuries at home. The organization just started a new website My Safe Home.org that looks at things like how to prepare for moving with kids, what to keep in mind as you bring a new baby home, and how to child proof your home. I feel like a do a pretty good job with this, but I am sure I am missing some things. I don't know that I can prevent all injuries with my little one. He runs up to people and tries to clobber them all the time. He's a little bruit! He rarely has a week where there isn't a bruise on his face. You probably remember this stage, no fear!
Christine Goss sent me this information about the website:
According to Home Safety Council research, on average more than 2,000 children under age 15 die as a result of unintentional injuries at home each year. Nearly seventy five percent of these fatalities are children under the age of five. Fires and burns, choking and suffocation and drowning are the leading causes of unintentional home injury death among children.

Children less than one year old have the highest rate of home injury death when compared to all other childhood age groups – an average of 468 children younger than the age of one die each year in the United States as a result of home injury. Children between the ages of one and four have the second highest rate of home injury death per year.


MySafeHome.org is Web site which invites visitors into a virtual home where state-of-the-art digital animation identifies major risk areas, room-by-room, indoors and out, and presents the key safety devices and preparedness plans that are important for every safe home.

I encourage you to visit the site’s “Bedroom-Nursery” and “Pool & Spa” areas.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Methodist Medical Center's new online healthcare program, MyMethodist eHealth, is a proud sponsor of this blog post. MyMethodist eHealth is the secure link to your doctor's office that lets you request appointments, order prescription refills, update your personal health record, and more. Sign up for MyMethodist eHealth here.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.