Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Don't try and fool me mom!

My four-year-old likes to pick out his own clothes. Jeans and a t-shirt is about all I can get him to wear, sometimes a polo shirt. Today was no exception. At least I talked him into wearing a new Spiderman t-shirt instead of an old ratty one. However, it was a little too long.

So my son says, "Mamma this is not going to work. I love Spiderman, but this shirt is too big. The kids will make fun of me."

I say, "First of all, no one is going to make fun of you. Secondly, the shirt isn't too big. Spiderman is just big. He needs more room than what fits on a normal size shirt." This was my attempt at getting him to keep the clothes on and actually get to school on time. It didn't work.

My son's response:"Well, I have to tell you (with this oh you're just not getting it face) Spiderman is only big because this shirt is too big for me. The shirts come in different sizes." Then he gives me this "duh" face that makes me laugh and I hand him another shirt.

Don't try and fool a four-year-old!

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

1 comments:

steven edward streight said...

"out of the mouths of babes" comes great wisdom, and you're right: little children don't have as many socially engineered filters on their thoughts and reactions.

Adults may be more "polite" and accommodating, but kids are closer to the reality many times.

What's sad is to think other children would be cruel to your 4 year old, just because of a very minor thing like a shirt being a bit large.

How do we instill a fearless, independent streak in a child? Of course, even adults don't want to wear ill-fitting clothes, except maybe on Saturdays when we're "slumming" around at thrift stores for bargains and discoveries.

LOL

I really love these down home posts about being a parent.

Much love and respect to you and yours, Jen!!!

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.