Some of these tips made me say "no duh," but you never know what your kids are thinking. It seems like it would be worth reviewing these safety tips with kids, even though some of them seem obvious.iVillage lists these 10 rules for kids Internet safety:
1. Never give out personal information on the Internet, such as their address, telephone number, the name or location of their school, or their parents' names.
2. Be cautious when developing a website. Children should know never to post a home address, telephone number, or personal photograph on the site. If children wish to have people contact them, they should post an email address.
3. Always inform their parents when they come across anything online that makes them uncomfortable. Parents and children can alert their Internet provider or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children hot line at 1-800-843-5678.
4. Never, under any circumstances, agree to meet face-to-face someone they have corresponded with online without a parent's permission. If a meeting is arranged, make sure that it takes place in public and that parents always accompany the child.
5. Avoid chat rooms that discuss sex or cults. While these topics may seem interesting at first, they could put a child in danger.
6. Be suspicious of anyone they meet in a chat room who tries to turn them against their family, friends, teachers, or religion.
7. Choose a gender-neutral online name in a chat room to avoid harassment.
8. Never respond to messages or bulletin boards that are sexually obscene, threatening, or make them feel uncomfortable in any way.
9. Never send any personal materials to an online friend, such as an address, telephone number, or photograph, without first informing parents.
10. Always be reminded that the people they meet online may not be who they say they are.
Do your kids get on-line? My four-year-old does. It is a rule not to get on-line without permission, but that doesn't always happen. He doesn't know how to chat or email, but he knows how to get to sproutonline.com and noggin.com.