Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lead Poisoning

Most of you probably took into consideration where your child's toys were made when you went shopping for the holidays. Lets face it, we have to be careful. We don't want to be handing our kids something with lead based paint, and now-a-days that seems extremely probable.

But what if the window sill in your child's room is just as toxic? Any home built before 1978 could contain lead based paint. Just painting over the old stuff doesn't protect your kids from getting lead poisoning and having life long learning problems. The biggest challenge with lead poisoning is it's hard to detect. The symptoms can be mild or mimic other illnesses.

Behavioral symptoms in children(according to WebMD)

  • Irritability or aggressiveness
  • Hyperactivity, being easily distracted,
  • impulsiveness
  • Learning problems
  • Lack of interest in play
  • Loss of appetite

Neurological symptoms (caused by effects of lead on the nervous system)

  • Poor coordination
  • Weakness in hands and feet
  • Headaches
  • Seizures
  • Paralysis
  • Coma

If you suspect your child has lead poisoning, especially if you live in a home built before 1978 that has cracking or chipping paint, you can have your pediatrician do a simple blood test for lead. Most public health departments also test kids. If the test is positive, you can look into different forms of treatment including chelation.
From WebMD:

"A recent study showed that declines in IQ can even be seen in children with blood lead concentrations below 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter of blood (10 mcg/dL), the level of concern defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization."

Here's a video report dealing with how lead paint is removed from a home safely. It's not as easy as most people think.

Lead Poisoning
video on YouTube (2:08)

-NewsAnchorMom Jen


Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.