Sunday, March 20, 2011

Healthy and Economical Eating


It is very rare that a week goes by and I don't get anxious about what to feed my family. We are always in a hurry and it's hard to get to the store. I am not home at night. So I have to plan dinner in the morning-or at least attempt to. I saw this article on CNN about how to eat healthy when you can't get to the store every three days for fresh, organic produce. I do a lot of the tips presented. So it make me feel a little less guilty. We do buy fresh fruit every week, but I use frozen vegetables. Most of the time the veggies go to waste at our house. It's just easier for me when they're frozen and I can use them whenever I want instead of feeling like I have to use them by XX date.

Here are the tips I really liked:
1. When using canned fruit or vegetables: Avoid the ones that have added sugar and get the low-sodium option when available. Always drain the vegetables and wash them thoroughly because that will remove a lot of the sodium. (I didn't realize that.)

2. When cooking frozen vegetables, don't put them in water. Steam them instead to lock in more nutrients. I always steam them, but I don't know if I knew why.

3. Stock up on whole grains. I have been slowly implemented whole grain pasta into our menu. It really depends on the brand whether they will eat it. A lot of the time, I do half whole grain/half white-especially when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. I just add more brown sugar so they aren't too bready(I can't think of a better word.)

4. Get some protein. You can add it to smoothies, milk and oatmeal. I like this idea. We tend to go on protein kicks now and then. I like Shaklee vanilla and chocolate. Hmmm good!

Here's the story on CNN article with some more tips. Please share yours by commenting below.

-NewsAnchorMom Jen

Skin Dimensions SB products, exclusive to Soderstrom Skin Institute, are manufactured with Pharmaceutical-Grade ingredients. In addition to being "Feel Good Products," they contain unique and innovative ingredients in concentrations that can assist you in the achievement of your own personal skin care objectives. This product line contains higher percentages of Glycolic, Vitamin A, C, E, Co-Q10, green tea, than what you can purchase over the counter.

0 comments:

 
Template by lollybloggerdesigns. Design by Taylor Johnston.